I wasn’t planning on baking this Valentine’s Day but I was inspired by a Linzer Heart cookies recipe I found in Bergen Health & Life Magazine by Buddy Valastro from the TLC show ‘Cake Boss’. The recipe seemed really easy to follow, had a short baking time and required a lot of ingredients I already had at home.
So, I made a quick trip to the store and picked up the few ingredients I was missing and before you know it, I was ready to bake. The preparation and baking process turned out being as easy and as fast as I imagined and in a matter of an hour, my cookies were done! I was very impressed with the final product. They looked amazing and and tasted great too! In the spirit of the holiday, I’ve been spreading the love and sharing my cookies with the ones I love.
Note: I used whole wheat pastry flour (because the store didn’t have regular) which added a healthy touch to my cookies. I also used a medium sized heart shaped cookie cutter and a thimble (because I didn’t have a small enough heart for the center hole) so feel free to be creative with your cookies!
1¾ cups vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup cold water
2 extra-large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for
flouring your work surface
3 cups pastry flour
Heaping cup of raspberry jam
½ cup powdered (10X) sugar
1 large heart cookie cutter
1 small heart cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the vegetable shortening, sugar, salt, baking power, vanilla and lemon juice. (If you are using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and mix on slow speed).
- Slowly add in the cold water and 2 eggs and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the AP flour & pastry flour and continue mixing until the dough is lump free.
- Flour your work space and roll out the dough so that it’s 1/4″ thick
- Cut 15-20 (or more or less) medium or large hearts for the bottom cookie
- Cut the same amount of medium or large hearts and punch out small hearts in the center with the small cookie cutter (or whatever instrument you could find)
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch
- Spread out the bottom cookies and place a small dollop of raspberry jam in the center
- Spread out the top cookies (the ones with the holes) and sprinkle powdered sugar over the tops until completely covered
- Attach one sugar covered top cookie to each jam covered bottom cookie.