When you think of Friday nights, you think of going out. But, what about that one night you decide to stay in and treat yourself to a homemade meal? Well its a great choice, and we have a tasty recipe for you to try. With this delicious couscous dish, you’ll hope you made enough for the next day’s lunch.
What you will need:
- 2 Spicy Italian Sausages ( Dice into small pieces)
- 1 inch of fresh root ginger (mince ginger)
- 1/2 portobello mushroom
- 1 Green pepper (dice into small pieces)
- 3-4 pieces of garlic (mince garlic)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 onion (dice onion into small pieces and 1/2 will be used for the salad)
- 1 bottle/ Can of your favorite tomato sauce (We recommend just tomato and not flavored with other spices for the best taste effect)
- 3 teaspoons of oil (olive oil or canola) Remember not too much the meat will release its own oils.
- Pinch of Salt
- Cracked pepper
- Spinach leaves
- 1 Granny Smith apple (diced into small pieces)
How to Make it:
First, add the pieces of sausage to a deep sauce pan with your olive oil or canola oil. Allow the sausage to start to cook and then add your green pepper, 1/2 onion and portobello. Once the sauce pan begins to simmer add spices: ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and squeeze in the half head of lemon. Mix together in the sauce pan until onion and peppers are lightly browned and meat is cooked to your liking.
Next, introduce the tomato sauce and let the dish cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
During this time begin prepping your couscous. Start by bring your water to a boil in a sauce pan . When the water begins boiling add couscous and take the sauce pan off of the burner. Let the couscous site for 4-5 minutes.
Mix spinach leaves, olive oil, whole ganny smith apple, onion, pinch of salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Your favorite glass of white wine will do!
Martinka Crystal Team